Haaretz, February 9, 2009 - Children in the Gaza Strip continued to suffer and feel insecure despite a ceasefire that has mostly ended three weeks of intense fighting between Israel and Hamas, the UN special envoy for children and armed conflict said Monday.
Radihika Coomaraswamy said grave violations of child rights had been committed during the fighting that began on December 27 when Israel Defense Forces launched airstrikes against Hamas militants who had been firing rockets and mortars into southern Israel.
She said those violations included killing and maiming, and denial of humanitarian access. Fifty-six per cent of Gazans are children under 18.
"During the recent hostilities, there were no safe space for children and the crossings out of Gaza were, and remain, virtually sealed," she said....