Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The War in Rafah Is Not Over - Louisa Waugh

Photo: Louisa Waugh

The Gaza Blog, February 16, 2009 - In my last blog, I was talking about sonic booms and drones, and the mind games Israel continues to play inside Gaza. This is a follow-up of sorts, because I've just been down to Rafah, in southern Gaza, where local Palestinians are being tormented day and night by air strikes and drones.

Faiza lives in Rafah, just 200 metres from the border with Egypt. Her house stands in front of a labyrinth of tunnels that have been dug underneath the Gaza border with Egypt. I was introduced to Faiza last year by one of my colleagues. Faiza works with kids who, for one reason or another, do not go to school, so she teaches them in their own homes. She is elegant, forthright and funny. When I came back to Gaza a few weeks ago I really wanted to see her. I knew her family had been evacuated from their house throughout the war, and had just recently returned. So I drove down to Rafah to see them....

No comments: